Introduction

Be sure to use the Article and Review Index on the right hand margin when looking for a particular figure, company or subject.

This blog is dedicated to cool robot figure design. I try to cover as much territory as I can, but I mostly feature contemporary and/or obscure robot figure lines that I feel haven't received the attention they deserve. Hopefully you'll find some awesome stuff here. If you have any questions or you need help tracking something down feel free to contact me. Peace!


Friday, July 25, 2008

SRW (Super Robot Wars-Taisen) Comes of Age with SOC GX-45, Dygenguar and Aussenseiter


Awhile back I wrote an article about the current state of SRW figures where I stated that I had my doubts as to whether there would ever be SRW figures made beyond the monstrously expensive Dengeki limited edition plastic action figures. I can say without reserve that I am so happy that I was wrong in my conclusions. Not only is there going to be new SRW figures made, but they are going to be part of the SOC line of figures no less, and if that's not enough, the first two are a combined set that includes Dygenguar and Aussenseiter. Wow. I don't know if they could have picked two better figures to be represented in the SOC line, and hopefully this won't be the last. It could easily turn out that this SRW combo will be the most anticipated SOC set this year, internationally speaking, and certainly the dark horse-mystery entry of the year. Reideen and Daimos have long term popularity, and it's always good to see the spirit of super robots endure through the years, but for me it's even more exciting to see a relatively new line (series) of figures come into its own and join the ranks of the classic heavy hitters.



I would speculate that the reason we are seeing SRW come to pass in SOC form is in large part thanks to the Kotobukiya models, and to a lesser degree the Dengeki figures also. What's been really cool about this popularity of the Kotobukiya models is that a huge portion of the collectors have been buying these models solely due to the designs of the robots without much affiliation to the video game franchise. This type of phenomenon doesn't happen that often with figure collecting where "form" takes a precedence over "function", so to speak. But the truth is that SRW has so many great looking robots that have a very contemporary look. This creates some contention among the zealots of the strictly old school whose mantra is that "if it's not old, it's crap".. but generally these feelings fade with time and exposure as the enthusiasm of other collectors spreads.



So far we don't have a lot of pics yet, but we do have some teaser material, and plenty of pics of the models and action figures, as you can see. But I will continue to post up new pics as they get released, so stay tuned!

No comments: